Monday, September 13, 2010

Blog 4: Poor Richard

If Passion drives, let Reason hold the reins.

This line comes from Benjamin Franklin's "Wit and Wisdom from Poor Richard's Almanack".  This excerpt has a very simple meaning or message but allows the observer to place what in their life really relates to it.  Personally I can see myself as a fairly passionate person in that I love what I do and the people that stand behind me whether that be my amazing family or my loving girlfriend who puts up with a long distance relationship with me everyday.  I believe that passion and determination are very important characteristics that every individual should place highly in their priorities but what Benjamin Franklin said about passion and the direction that one steers his passion is very important.  Being passionate about anything can in a way become harmful if overdone to the point where reason is not considered.  Franklin may have capitalized the words "Passion" and "Reason" for in this context he is referring to them as persons driving a coach or wagon.  They are italicized because obviously they are not simply names but emotions or actions.  If passion is what drives ones thoughts and actions (the coach in this instance) then he needs to make sure reason is in the driver seat steering it in a beneficial direction.  Always be reasonable even when your emotions are overwhelming.
-Chris C

1 comment: