Sunday, August 29, 2010

Blog 2: CBS Thought

In regards to the media correspondent Jeff Greenfield in his video dubbed "Media Convergence" I personally agree entirely with his closing statement.  It included his concern about society and users of unconventional media gathering methods in this information age needing to sustain the concepts of personal relationships and respect for history.  As I stated in my first blog I do sincerely belive that interpersonal relationships between co-workers, customers, friends and especially loved ones are very important and that it seems some people let todays convenience of other methods of communication hinder that.  These methods and the advancements made technologically in communication are utterly important to the progress of our country and economy but the priorites for things that Greenfield stated such as the love for story telling, vivid language, and a respect for history should be much higher on a personal stand point.  Individuals should find a balance in their time spent using these information and communication methods and time spent with other individuals giving them the opportunity to have intelligent and engrossing conversations.  In a more broad sense, and most likely more of what Greenfield is talking about, the reason that the media broadcast "Sunday Morning" and CBS news among other broadcasts still endure is their sense of relation to the direct viewer and priority set upon these fundamental values.
-Chris C

2 comments:

  1. After submitting this blog and reading the announcement made about it by Dr. Baltrip I realized that I may have slightly misinterpreted the question about the video clip. My general concensus is still the same but I wanted to briefly clear up my explanation behind my reasoning. I definitely do agree in what Greenfield stated in that media should still hold a firm grasp on the fundamentals of story telling, clear language and conversation, and history. I believe that these should form a foundation for the materials that a station chooses to broadcast and in doing so would find comfort in the same success that CBS and the Sunday Morning broadcast has found. The presence of these fundamental values in a media broadcast would personally be more appealing to me as a viewer or "consumer" if you will, than a broadcast even covering the same subject that did not focus on these aspects. I believe that the personal relations that an individual can create with these aspects of story telling, history, and clear language in media are strong hence the success of such stations that portray them. I hope this clears up any confusion as to the subject of my explanation.
    -Chris C

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Chris for adding more clarity to your original entry!

    ReplyDelete